[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org GSoC

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Thu Feb 12 10:04:25 EST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 12. Februar 2009 09:15 schrieben Sie:
> g9ks157k:
> > Am Mittwoch, 11. Februar 2009 18:51 schrieb Don Stewart:
> > > For example, if all the haddocks on hackage.org were a wiki, and
> > > interlinked, every single package author would benefit, as would all
> > > users.
> >
> > You mean, everyone should be able to mess about with my documentation?
> > This would be similar to give everyone commit rights to my repositories
> > or allow everyone to edit the code of my published libraries. What is the
> > good thing about that?
>
> No one said anything about unrestricted commit rights ... we're not
> crazy ... what if it were more like, say, RWH's wiki .. where comments
> go to editors to encorporate ...

“Wiki” sounds like you could edit the documentation of the package. This
wouldn’t necessarily mean that these modifications are written back to the
repository. However, it would men that Hackage is not longer showing the real
documentation of the repository but what others made of it by wiki editing. I
would dislike this.

However, a commenting system like that of RWH is a very different thing.
People would not edit the actual documentation (so the documentation is not a
wiki). People would just add comments. This might be a good idea.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang