[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell.org GSoC

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Feb 13 11:14:28 EST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Daniel Kraft wrote:

> Henning Thielemann wrote:

>> DoCon?
>
> hm, I've only read a little on their webpage; what I was thinking of was to
> implement a very basic package just to do some symbolic integration or
> equation solving to be embedded in some other calculation, and DoCon sounds
> like a more abstract, mathematical system.
>
> So maybe there could still be some interest in a basic symbolic expression
> package that could be backed by a CAS library like GiNaC or some other one
> (better yet, pluggable) instead of imlementing a full CAS itself.

So it seems to be useful to make the distinction:
  * Computer algebra is doing advanced arithmetic on advanced mathematical
objects like polynomials, Galois groups, function compositions (for
integration). This is what DoCon is about (integration excluded).
  * Symbolic manipulation is what you are after, where symbolic
manipulation often involves computer algebra behind the scenes (i.e.
translating symbolic expressions to polynomials, function compositions)