[Haskell-cafe] Confused by SYB example with zipping

José Pedro Magalhães jpm at cs.uu.nl
Mon Feb 16 03:28:53 EST 2009

Hello Henry,

Changes to GHC regarding the treatment of higher-rank types required a few
changes to that test too. You have to eta-expand the application of mkTT and
give it a type signature. Therefore, main becomes

print $ gzip (\x y -> mkTT maxS x y) genCom1 genCom2

and you have to add the type signature

mkTT :: (Typeable a, Typeable b, Typeable c) => (a -> a -> a) -> b -> c ->
> Maybe c .

Then this example should work.

As to why exactly these changes are necessary, you might want to check the
GHC manual section on arbitrary-rank polymorphism (
http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/other-type-extensions.html#universal-quantification
).

Cheers,
Pedro