[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Feb 16 08:19:39 EST 2009

[redirecting to haskell-cafe]

Am Sonntag, 15. Februar 2009 00:26 schrieben Sie:
> One more thing, would Grapefruit work with files created by Glade (UI
> builder)?

No, it won’t, I’m afraid. There is, for example, the principal problem that
Glade is GTK+-specific (as far as I know) while Grapefruit shall have a
toolkit-independent library interface.

However, I don’t think it is such a good idea to support traditional GUI
builders. These builders typically let you design a static interface but you
have to code event handlers or similar stuff completely by hand and you have
practically no support for dynamic user interfaces (user interfaces that
change their structure).

On the other hand, Grapefruit uses arrow notation for composing user
interfaces so that the source code already reflects the visual appearence of
the GUI to a certain degree. For example, you just list the widgets of a box
and say what their input and output signals are.

That said, I still think it might be a good idea to use a GUI builder together
with Grapefruit. But such a builder should be specifically designed for
Grapefruit, in my opinion. I already have some rough ideas in my mind about
how such a builder could work. I’d want it to cover also the communication
between the UI components (using signals) and maybe even dynamic user
interfaces. If you are interested in my ideas, please ask.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang