[Haskell-cafe] Gtk2HS 0.10.0 Released

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 17 03:59:34 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 08:47 +0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:

> > Maybe. Dealing with linker scripts properly is probably rather tricky
> > and we get it for free when we switch to shared libraries.
>
> I don't follow this last point - how does switching to shared libraries for
> Haskell code change things here?

It means that ghci will not need to link to system shared libs except
when someone uses -lblah on the ghci command line. That's because when
we link a Haskell package as a shared lib the system linker interprets
any linker scripts and embeds the list of dependencies on other shared
libs (other Haskell packages and system libs). Then ghci just dlopens
the shared libs for the directly used Haskell packages that that
automatically resolves all their deps on other Haskell and system shared
libs.

Duncan