[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Feb 17 07:59:20 EST 2009

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 22:04 schrieben Sie:
> As for how I want Hieroglyph to work interactively, I think the easiest way
> is to react to the input data considered as a coherent whole.  The semantic
> model for visualization is that a Visualization is a function from Data to
> Visual.

Hmm, doesn’t this approach result in scalability problems? You always have to
analyse the complete input data if a small part of it changes and you always
have to update the complete picture. This is similar to the problems I see
with Yampa-based UI approaches.

However, you might be interested in things like incremental list signals which
I’m (re-)implementing at the moment. To a large degree, the library user sees
a time-varying list but internally the library takes care of not updating the
whole list all the time but only the parts which actually change.

> The main problem I have, which is what I want FRP for, is that to consider
> the data as a coherent whole, the data have to be composable.

I don’t really understand this. Could you explain this, please?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang