[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Svein Ove Aas svein.ove at aas.no
Thu Feb 19 03:17:48 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Thomas DuBuisson
<thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recall that Niel made sure hoogle doesn't search through
> non-portable libraries (a shame), but I thought Network.Socket could
> be used on Windows and yet Hoogle does not give any results for
> 'socket' or any other functions within Network.Socket.
>
> First, am I mistaken and Network.Socket is POSIX only?  I could swear
> it wasn't.  Secondly - is there any chance of lifting the non-portable
> libraries ban, Niel?  From the stand point of an application developer
> it might not sound good, but even in Haskell some software is system
> level and bound to be single platform (case and point: XCB, xmonad,
> hsXenCtrl).  Judging by the amount of research in systems level
> functional programming I wouldn't be surprised to see this collection
> grow and making functions hard to find isn't productive.

"The Network.Socket module is for when you want full control over
sockets. Essentially the entire C socket API is exposed through this
module; in general the operations follow the behaviour of the C
functions of the same name (consult your favourite Unix networking
book)."

The C socket API in question is the POSIX one, I'm afraid. It has no
exact equivalent on windows.