[Haskell-cafe] Haskell.org GSoC

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 05:35:18 EST 2009

2009/2/19 Wolfgang Jeltsch <g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org>

> Am Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009 02:22 schrieb sylvain:
> > Haskell is a nice, mature and efficient programming language.
> > By its very nature it could also become a nice executable formal
> > specification language, provided there is tool support.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to achieve the goals you describe with a dependently
> typed programming language?

But I wonder how a dependent typed language can express certain properties,
for example, the distributive property between the operation + and * in a
ring or simply the fact that show(read x)==x. As far as I understand,  a
dependent type system can restrict the set of values for wich a function
apply, but it can not express complex relationships between operations. My
knowledge on dependent types is very limited. I would like to be wrong on
this.

The point is that permits the automatic checking of such properties at the
class level (or module level) are critical, to make sure that derived
instances agree with that. This would be very good to feel confident and
program at higuer levels of abstraction.