[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 14:09:48 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:17 AM, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> If a function isn't available on all OS's then all Hoogle would be
> encouraging you to do is break compatibility and stop me from using
> your software. If a function is only available on one OS you will
> certainly have to deliberately choose to search for that, and it will
> never show up by default.

I'm hoping to avoid a platform war here.  What I'm saying is that some
programs/libraries, by the very nature of what they do, will be
platform specific and there is no reason to run them on other
platforms.  I'd like to use hoogle to search for functions/data types
in those packages.  Are you not convinced there are legitimate
single-platform libraries/programs that shouldn't be expected to be
portable?