[Haskell-cafe] Re: [darcs-users] darcs and Google Summer of Code

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sat Feb 21 10:18:15 EST 2009

Hi Wolgang,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 12:53:23 +0100, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> What do you mean with “something which will make it much easier for third
> parties to write a GUI in the future”?

Kari's example of GUI-friendly optimisations might be one thought.

More generally, I was thinking of some kind of darcs library design
work: now that we have exposed all our modules in a sort of darcs
library, how we can grow this into a proper library that people can
"safely" use (safe in the sense that the library makes it very clear
what kinds of operations are read-only, or to what extent operations are
"atomic", preferably with atomic repository-manipulating functions only
being exposed and not their underlying substeps).  The library could
also tackle issues like darcs sending messages back to the user (right
now, we just putStrLn, but what if we want them to go a special Window?)

Sorry if these are vague thoughts.  In general, it would be nice to see
a some summer of code projects that emphasised foundational work.

> > I'll note that last year, we had a few interested students for this year and
> > a potential mentor (Shelarcy from wxHaskell).  Hopefully we can call on
> > them again this year?  There is also some work by Wolgang Jeltsch
>
> Wol*f*gang, please. :-)

Argh, after looking Jeltsch up to make sure I got that right, I had to
go make a typo on the easy part.  :-D

> How can I get write access for this page?

Very sorry for the delayed response:
  http://wiki.darcs.net/index.html/UserPreferences

> I’ve put myself as a potential mentor on the old Haskell SoC ticket
> (<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/17>).

Thanks!

> However, one or two years ago I was told that mentoring is a very
> time-consuming thing (and to my knowledge, you don’t get any payments
> for that, at least for Haskell projects).

While the darcs project would be grateful if you wanted to donate us
your mentor payment, we certainly do not want to make you feel obliged
to do so.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9