[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle and Network.Socket

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 23:38:49 EST 2009

John A. De Goes:
> I think the (valid) concern is that too many people are choosing
> platform-specific packages when there are alternatives available
> (albeit not as convenient in some cases), and this really hurts the
> Windows community because Windows is so radically different from all
> the other operating systems.

Its apparent that Neil has the legitimate concern of general purpose
libraries becoming or being built on platform specific pieces - a
situation I also want to avoid seeing as I work on three different
platforms.  The point I'm trying to make is that some programs and
libraries perform platform specific taskes and that's ok - there is no
loss of portability because it wouldn't make sense to port them
anyway.  Examples include Debian/Arch packaging, X.org bindings /
Window Managers, Xen system call bindings, etc.

Tom