[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: X Haskell Bindings 0.2

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Feb 22 12:58:18 EST 2009

Felipe Lessa <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 2:08 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The goal of XHB is to provide a Haskell implementation of the X11
> > wire protocol, similar in spirit to the X protocol C-language
> > Binding (XCB).
> [snip]
> > Related projects:
> >
> > X C Bindings: http://xcb.freedesktop.org/
>
> I wonder how XHB is related to Xmonad, specially the need for
> compositing. Sorry if this is a dumb question :).

It could be used for it.

I once thought of hacking away on exactly that, but got demotivated by
the fact that all that xlib code would have to be replaced (including
xmonad-contrib). While nowadays xlib programs are compatible with xcb,
because xlib itself is now based on xcb, the haskell xlib bindings
aren't based on xhb... we'd need xcb bindings, which kinda defeats the
purpose of xhb.

Then there's of xcompmgr, which works fine enough for what I want to
have, and I fail to come up with any useful application of compositing
in a twm in addition to transparency for focus indication.

OTOH, writing a separate compositing manager using xhb is certainly
possible, fits better into the UNIX world, and would, most likely, be
easily be snarfed into xmonad in case it's going to happen to be ported
over to xhb. If you want to know how, have a look at the xcompmgr
sources, it's straight forward.