[Haskell-cafe] Memoization local to a function

Dusan Kolar kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
Wed Feb 25 12:38:36 EST 2009

Dear all,

  I have a function a computation of which is quite expensive, it is
recursively dependent on itself with respect to some other function
values - we can roughly model its behaviour with fib function (returns
n-th number of Fibonacci's sequence). Unfortunately, it is not fib, it
is far more complicated. Nevertheless, for demonstration of my
question/problem I will use fib, it's quite good.

  I want to store results in a list (array, with its strong size limit
that I do not know prior to computation, is not suitable) and then pick
them up using (!!) operator. Well, if the list is "global"
function/constant then it works quite well. Unfortunately, this is not,
what I would like to have. Nevertheless, local version does not work.

  Could someone point me to some text that explains it? Memoization text
on wiki does not seem to be helpful. Time/operation consumption is
deduced from number of reductions reported by hugs and winhugs (tested
both on Linux and Windows).

  Thank you for hints,

   Dusan

P.S.
Code I used for testing.

module Testmemo
    (  fibW
    ,  fibL
    ,  fibM
    )  where

fibW m = allfib !! m
  where
    allfib = 0:1:[allfib!!n + allfib!!(n+1) | n <- [0..]]

fibL m =
  let
    allfib = 0:1:[allfib!!n + allfib!!(n+1) | n <- [0..]]
  in allfib !! m

fibM n = myallfib !! n
myallfib = 0:1:[myallfib!!n + myallfib!!(n+1) | n <- [0..]]