[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hoogle and Network.Socket

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Wed Feb 25 19:54:02 EST 2009

It's a chicken-egg thing. A Linux or OS X developer tries Haskell and
finds he can write useful programs right away, with a minimum of fuss.
But a Windows user tries Haskell and finds he has access to very few
of the really good libraries, and even the cross-platform libraries
won't build without substantial effort. As a result, I bet it's easier
for a Linux or OS X developer to like Haskell than a Windows developer.

I use OS X exclusively myself, but I'll ensure my first published
Haskell library is cross-platform compatible, because I think it's
good for the community. The more people using Haskell, the more
libraries that will be written, the more bugs that will be fixed, the
more creativity that will be poured into development of libraries and
the language itself.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.