[Haskell-cafe] jhc speed

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:06:16 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Bernie Pope <bjpop at csse.unimelb.edu.au>wrote:

> On 23/02/2009, at 2:22 AM, Luke Palmer wrote:
>

>> By the way, coming up pretty soon, I will need a desugared annotated
>> Haskell for Dana.  If anybody has something like this in the works, I'd love
>> to help with it.  If it does not exist by the time I need it, I will make
>> it, so if anyone is interested in working on it with me, let me know :-)
>>
>> Luke
>>

> Hi Luke,
>
> Any progress on that front?

Not yet.  It's still a few items down in the queue.

> How much desugaring do you want? What kind of annotations do you want?

Enough desugaring to make Haskell "simple" (yes, I know that's subjective).
 Probably somewhere around System-F (Fw perhaps, once I learn what that is).
 The main things I can think of are getting rid of special notation (do,
list comp., where clauses, infix operators) and expanding typeclasses to
dictionary passing.

> Can you get what you need from the GHC API?

I haven't looked into it, but my guess is not.  The main requirement is that
it (and its desugared target) needs to be really pure (no IO, FFI, or
polymorphic seq), and that it must be able to desugar itself.  It might
provide a good launching point though.

Luke