[Haskell-cafe] Re: Left fold enumerator - a real pearl overlooked?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 17:51:46 EST 2009

Hello Günther,

I think the largest reason Haskellers don't use left-fold enumerators
is that there isn't a ready-to-use package on Hackage.  Oleg's code is
extremely well commented and easy to follow, but it's not cabalized.

In addition to Takusen, Johan Tibbe's hyena application server uses
enumerators for IO:
http://github.com/tibbe/hyena/tree/master

There is a darcs repo of a cabalized iteratee package available at
http://inmachina.net/~jwlato/haskell/iteratee/
This is essentially Oleg's code, slightly modified and reorganized.
If anyone is interested in using left-fold enumerators for IO, please
give it a look and let me know what you think.  I'd like to put this
on hackage in about a week or so, if possible.  I would especially
appreciate build reports.

There are a few iteratee/enumerator design questions that remain,
which Oleg and others would like to explore more fully.  The results
of that research will likely find there way into this library.

Sincerely,
John Lato