[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] #haskell IRC channel reaches 600 users

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Sat Jan 3 16:46:29 EST 2009

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 21:27:24 +0100, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> A small announcement :)
>
> 7 years after its inception, under the guiding hand of Shae Erisson (aka
> shapr), the #haskell IRC channel[1] on freenode has reached 600
> concurrent users! It's now in the top 3 language channels by size.

Some more statistics can be found at
   http://www.langpop.com/

An interesting quote from this site:
   It's interesting to note how languages like Haskell and Erlang
   are talked about a lot, despite scoring fairly low on the
   normalized popularity chart above. People are interested in
   them, but haven't begun to use them on a large scale yet.

We have to create more webpages about Haskell (containing the words
"programming" and "Haskell") to score better! :) And there should be
more Haskell jobs :)

Other sites with statistics:
   http://www.tiobe.com/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
   http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/comp.lang-statistics/

An article about what makes a language popular:
   http://www.paulgraham.com/popular.html

--
Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl