[Haskell-cafe] Haskell not ready for Foo [was: Re: Hypothetical Haskell job in New York]

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Thu Jan 8 13:14:18 EST 2009

There's a JavaScript binding to Java, and there's a Java binding to
Erlang, so nothing's stopping you from using JavaScript nodes in a
distributed fashion -- if you have a weird obsession with proving that
JavaScript is well-suited for every task.

But really, what's the point? FFI code is fragile, often uncompilable
and unsupported, and doesn't observe the idioms of Haskell nor take
advantage of its powerful language features. Rather than coding
through FFI, a messaging application is better off written in 100%
Erlang, because the libraries are native there and so confer all the
benefits unique to native libraries.

You can indeed fit a square peg in a round hole, if you pound hard
enough. That doesn't mean it's a good thing to do.

Here's hoping someone develops a native messaging framework for
Haskell, which is the equal of RabbitMQ.

Regards,

John