[Haskell-cafe] Re: Hypothetical Haskell job in New York

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Jan 8 17:48:46 EST 2009

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 09:46:36PM +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> I'm speaking about servers, not clients.
>>

>> Personally, I only know http://hpaste.org/, based on
>> Server: HAppS/0.8.4
>
> Take a look at Hackage.  There are quite a few other Haskell web
> frameworks as well: everything from the low-level FastCGI to
> higher-level HSP and WASH.

FastCGI is not a HTTP server. WASH seems so include one, but the latest
version ("Wash and go") seems to be from mid-2007 ("tested with GHC 6.6"
as the web page states), unless of course I'm looking at the wrong page.
That doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

Now, if you're talking about using, say, Apache + FastCGI then you'll
probably have something pretty robust, but I don't think that counts as
a "Haskell server".

Generally my experience has been that most of the Haskell server stuff
hasn't been very mature.

>> And about HAppS, I'm not an Haskell expert, but reading the source I see
>> that static files are server (in the HTTP server) using
>> Data.ByteString.Lazy's hGetContents
>>
>> Is this ok?
>
> In what respect?  The fact that something uses
> ByteString.Lazy.hGetContents doesn't imply a problem to me.  It's a
> useful function.  It can be used properly, or not, just as while or
> read() in C can be.

It's a great way to introduce unavoidable handle leaks, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Bardur Arantsson