[Haskell-cafe] Shared library creating on Mac OS X

Phil pbeadling at mail2web.com
Fri Jan 9 21:26:53 EST 2009

Hi,

I¹m hitting a problem trying create shared haskell libs to be linked into a
C program on Mac OS X.

I¹m using the latest download for Leopard from the GHC page:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/dist/6.10.1/witten/ghc-6.10.1-powerpc-apple-darwi
n.tar.bz2

I can get basic executables working fine (with a C main() #including ghc¹s
stub header), using something like:
ghc -optc-O invnorm.c InverseNormal.o InverseNormal_stub.o -o cTest

I started off using the following line to try to create a shared lib:

 ghc --make -no-hs-main -optl '-shared' -o Inv.so InverseNormal.hs

This doesn¹t work on mac os x because Apple¹s gcc annoyingly takes different
switches, so I changed it to:

ghc --make -no-hs-main -optl '-dynamiclib' -o Inv.dylib InverseNormal.hs

Which still fails at the final link giving:

Linking Inv.dylib ...
Undefined symbols:
  "_environ", referenced from:
      _environ$non_lazy_ptr in libHSbase-4.0.0.0.a(PrelIOUtils.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found

I¹ve seen similar things before, and I believe if you have full control over
the source you just slip in a:

#define environ (*_NSGetEnviron())

Sure enough, I can find references to environ in, for example HsBase.h

Problem (as I see it) is that references to environ are already wrapped up
in the static lib libHSbase-4.0.0.0.a, so without recompiling Haskell we
can¹t alter the C definition now.  However, given that packager must have
made this behave when he compiled the distribution there must be a way to
make Mac gcc accept _envrion symbols??

Has anyone seen this before / can confirm my analysis / and by any chance
have a solution?

Many thanks,

Phil.