[Haskell-cafe] Re: System.CPUTime and picoseconds

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 15:41:33 EST 2009

> Let's assume you were joking, but just in case you were not...

Why this hostile tone? I didn't mean to be offensive. Unlike most people in
this group, I don't have the brain of an einstein :)

So sorry for my stupidity, I just tried to give some feedback...

> Clock speed is variable on all modern CPUs. In low power states some
> CPUs can turn off the clock completely. In some CPUs the clock speed is
> variable per-core and some can turn off one core without turning off all
> cores. Relating clock ticks to time is a minefield.

Yes I know that. I just meant having something that returns a number of
ticks (not real CPU ticks, mea culpa) and the ticks itself. That would make
it unit independent no?

Anyway, this is purely theoretical, as indeed picoseconds would do for all
practical purposes I guess