[Haskell-cafe] Real World Haskell: confusion

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 19:04:18 EST 2009

> I'd almost say that there is no such thing as partial application in
> Haskell. Since every:
>
> > f ¡Ë a ¡ú b ¡ú c
>
> is really:
>
> > f ¡Ë a ¡ú (b ¡ú c)
>
> there are no multiple arguments to be applied 'partially', only a
> function 'f' that takes one argument and gives you another, anonymous,
> function.

Mmm. And since tuples are just one syntactic sugared kind of ADTs, maybe
Haskell doesn't have real currying either? ;-) Because really any kind of
ADT could be curried in a sense no? Unless we really think of tuples as a
handy anonymous kind of ADT that gets special treatment, e.g. because it is
the only way to return multiple values from a function in Haskell (without
having to declare a new type as must be done in C#, C++ etc?) Which is
probably the case...