[Haskell-cafe] real haskell difficulties (at least for me)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 15 07:05:55 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 12:45 +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> Duncan Coutts ha scritto:
> > [...]
> >> Do you know buildbot?
> >> http://buildbot.net/trac
> >
> > Yeah, it's great for some kinds of projects. For example it's used for
> > ghc. However it is very centralised, synchronous and needs ssh on
> > Windows.
> >
> > What we've implemented is using cabal-install to generate build logs and
> > summary info and to upload that to the hackage server. The advantage is
> > that we should get an order or two magnitude more results than if we
> > used a handful of buildbots.
>
> This seems a good idea.
> However, it is possible for a thirdy part user to submit build logs for
> a specific platform?

Yes.

> In detail:
> - The package author submit his package, and additional build logs
>    for each platform he have access to
> - Other users can submit additional build logs for their platform
>

> I think, however, that a centralized system has its advantages.
> As an example, a newly submitted package can be put in a 'incoming
> queue', and moved to the final destination only if it builds (and tests
> succeed) on all the supported platforms.

What we really want is both. We want to let random users on random
platforms submit simple anonymous build reports (no logs).

In addition since any client can upload reports we can set up a number
of dedicated clients that will build every new package in a chroot and
upload non-anonymous detailed build reports with build logs.

The only downside compared to a more centralised system is that we do
not get to centrally monitor the status of the dedicated build clients.

Duncan