[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:34:21 EST 2009

> I'm not sure having a Monoid class is actually useful for anything - but if
> we must have it, there seems to be little better possible name for something
> so vague.

IMO the Monoid class is useful since, if you define mempty and mappend, you
get mconcat for free. I don't see what the problem is. Most people will
accept Functor, as it used a lot. Monoid might be less used, but if you
reject it, then by principle you must just as well reject Functor, and any
other type classes.