[Haskell-cafe] Comments from OCaml Hacker Brian Hurt

Michael Giagnocavo mgg at giagnocavo.net
Thu Jan 15 21:02:43 EST 2009

>Your talk of undergraduate courses to concat two lists isn't grounded
>in any kind of reality, muddies the waters, and probably scares people
>away from Haskell by giving the impression that it's much harder than
>it is.

I've been studying Haskell a bit to understand and learn more about functional programming (I'm using F#). I have to say, the scariest thing I've faced was exactly what you say. Everything I read built "monads" up to be this ungraspable thing like quantum mechanics. Even after I actually understood it well enough, I kept thinking I must be missing something because there's so much fuss about it.

-Michael