[Haskell-cafe] about documentation improvements

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Fri Jan 16 10:51:02 EST 2009

Duncan Coutts ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 15:12 +0100, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>> About latest thread on better naming and documentation improvement, why
>> don't organize an interactive session where:
>>
>> 1) normal users tell what's wrong about a package/module documentation
>> 2) the package/module author/maintainer fix the documentation in real
>>     time, so that users can review it again
>

> Along similar lines, here's a project I've been thinking about that
> someone might like to try...
>
> It's a cross between darcs and a wiki. You want to let users contribute
> minor fixes to code or documentation. It's especially relevant for
> trivial changes to documentation. But instead of making the change live,
> it makes a darcs patch and sends it to the package maintainer.

That's what I was thinking, documentation behind a revision control system.

However I was thinking of:
- normal user can only add "annotations"
- only authors can change the documentation

> The point is it should be as easy as a wiki to make some minor
> improvement, but it does not mean your actual source code lives in a
> wiki, the maintainer still has control and gets patches via their normal
> source control system.

I was not thinking of a wiki; but of a system to be used for small
sessions (about 1/2 hour) held once in a while, where there is strong
interaction between users and authors.

Manlio Perillo