[Haskell-cafe] Optimistic evaluation

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 18 07:12:34 EST 2009

Hi folks.

I just read a rather interesting paper about a fork of GHC that performs
"optimistic evaluation". This shows big wins in some cases.

The authors claim to have implemented this in a fork of GHC and promised
that it would be integrated into the production compiler "in the near
future". Curios, I investigated the GHC wiki...

Well, let's see now. The front page has links to "out release plans for
6.8.3" and "what will be in 6.10". The latter page,

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Status/Releases

mentions that a beta has just been released... and seems oblivious to
the fact that 6.10.1 is production now. Clearly, any hopes I might have
had of getting a handle on the current status of GHC from this wiki were
dashed somewhat. ;-)

Does anybody have any suggestions for a more reliable way of figuring
out what the current activities and plans for GHC are?