[Haskell-cafe] Employment

Tom Hawkins tomahawkins at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:17:10 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Like many people I'm sure, I'd like to get paid to code stuff in Haskell.
> But I can't begin to imagine how you go about doing that...

At Eaton, we're using Haskell to design automotive control systems
(see http://cufp.galois.com/).  In a 3 month span we went from 98K
lines of Simulink, Matlab, and VisualBasic to 4K lines of Haskell.
The system is now in vehicle testing and is going to production mid
this year.  In addition to tuning control laws and fault monitors,
other fun things we are using Haskell for is to integrate our
environment with an SMT solver for infinite state, bounded model
checking.

Unfortunately, due to economic conditions, all new openings have been
temporarily put on hold.  However, we expect new reqs to open as soon
as conditions improve.  When this happens, it would be nice if we had
a single source to find qualified people.

Maybe the community should consider building a database to help people
who want to write Haskell for a living get in touch with employers who
want to hire them.  Such a database would help me counter by boss's
argument that "it's impossible to find and hire Haskell programmers."

-Tom