[Haskell-cafe] how to implement daemon start and stop directives?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Jan 23 23:27:07 EST 2009

On 2009 Jan 22, at 1:36, Belka wrote:
> Could somebody please share some experience on how to implement
> daemon start
> and stop directives. In theory I need something like this:
> 1. "my_daemon start" - starts my app with an infinite loop of serving
> inside.
> 2. "my_daemon stop" - puts in some TVar a value signalizing, that
> stop is
> given - infinite loop brakes.
> 3. ...it on Linux platform.
>
> Thanks in advance!

If you want a normal daemon, you want to look at System.Posix.Process
to create a proper daemon (forkProcess, createSession; don't forget to
close stdOutput (and, errr, Haskell library types:  stdin and stderr
are where?  not System.Posix.IO with stdOutput) and reopen them on /
dev/null, at least if they're ttys as determined by
System.Posix.Terminal.queryTerminal).  You also want to write out a
pidfile (/var/run/programname.pid) for use by startproc / killproc,
and you want to install a handler for sigTERM
(System.Posix.Signals.installHandler) which sets the exit flag (TVar,
MVar, IORef, Chan, take your pick).  Ideally you also catch sigHUP and
reload your state.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu