[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Web Framework

Donnie Jones donnie at darthik.com
Sun Jan 25 14:12:52 EST 2009

Hello Michael,

I am interested in contributing to a Haskell web framework.  :)

I have started an attempt to create my own Haskell web framework, but I got
busy working on my Master's thesis research, so I had to stop working on
it...  I was a web developer at a start-up company for 1.5yrs with Ruby on
Rails, and I really really like the MVC design; however, I prefer a stricter
MVC implementation than Rails provides.  More specifically, I don't think
code should appear in the view at all.  I believe that using html tags, the
web framework can provide a function to "render" the view which would parse
the html tags and insert the content (whatever it may be).  Functions can be
easily composed together to build more complex content in the views.  For
example,

<person id="name"></person>
<person id="age"></person>

person_name =
  renderView "person" "name" "John Doe"

person_age =
  renderView "person" "age" "40"

I can show you my code which implements this parsing in a more structured
manner, but I think this stricter MVC implementation leads to more
maintenable projects and especially facilitates a graphic designer to work
independent of the web developer since the graphic designer won't be
confused by the code in the views.

What do you think?
--
Donnie Jones