[Haskell-cafe] MySQL and HDBC?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Mon Jan 26 09:18:20 EST 2009

Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Right now, the meaning of the dbTransactionSupport flag
> is ambiguous. Does True mean that full support for transactions
> is guaranteed? Or only that it might be supported for some tables?
> If not supported for some table, will the driver revert to
> irrevocable immediate changes, or raise an exception? Will
> silently ignore commit and rollback requests, or raise an
> exception?

That is quite true.  I had not realized that it was possible for this to
vary within a MySQL database at the time I put that flag in.

I believe MySQL is the only database people are likely to use with HDBC
(even Sqlite has universal transaction support) that has this issue, so
I would really encourage the community of MySQL users to come up with
the API that would be most helpful in this situation, and as I said, I'm
happy to add it to HDBC.

-- John