[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 02:21:05 EST 2009

> Conal> As Meister Eckhart said, "Only the hand that erases can write the
> Conal> true thing."
>
> Nicely said...
>
> I'm sure you're not the only one desiring to write GUI in "genuinely
> functional" toolkit, but, being realistic and considering how many people
> are working on bindings for those "legacy libraries", I doubt we'll see
> something written from the scratch and usable for "Real World Haskell"
> soon ;)

I'm vaguely aware that there has been a line of functional-style
widget libraries, from fudgets down to developments like arrows and
FRP and the various libraries built on that.  The fact that the
libraries have continued to be research projects and beget further
research projects implies that they've had some critical flaws that
needed further research.  Is there a description somewhere of what the
critical flaws have been and are, and what the current problems are to
solve before we can finally have a practical declarative and
compositional UI library?