[Haskell-cafe] ANN: HDBC v2.0 now available

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 19:40:29 EST 2009

Excerpts from John Goerzen's message of Fri Jan 30 18:31:00 -0600 2009:
> Why would cabal-install select a different base than running Setup
> manually?
>
> I can't hard-code base >= 4 into .cabal because that would break for
> GHC 6.8 users.  I have CPP code that selects what to compile based on
> GHC version.
>
> -- John

I think it would be easiest to simply not use CPP and set a dependency
on the extensible-exceptions package:

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/extensible-exceptions

Using this package, you don't need CPP at all - just import
'Control.Exception.Extensible' instead of Control.Exception and you're
done. This package works under both ghc 6.8 and 6.10 (when compiled
under 6.10, it just re-exports all of Control.Exception, and on <=
6.10 it actually compiles the code) and means you don't have to have
two awkward copies of the same code that use different
exception-handling mechanisms.

Austin