[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sat Jan 31 14:30:21 EST 2009

> When I said Cairo felt rather slow, I was comparing it again fully hardware
> accelerated solutions.
> ..
> IMO the future is fully hardware accelerated rendering on the GPU, like OpenVG.
> It will take a while before it is common to see glyphs being rendered on the
> GPU, but I'm sure this is all doable.

There seem to be some older references to an OpenGL backend for Cairo

    http://www.cairographics.org/OpenGL/
    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/glitz
    http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/tech/freenix/nilsson.html

aiming for hardware acceleration. There doesn't seem to be anything
newer than 2006, though, which is puzzling, as the OpenGL backend
is still advertized - is it still supported?

A common standard would be useful, but OpenVG doesn't look
like "ready soon". On the declarative side, there's also SVG..

Claus