[Haskell-cafe] Monoid wants a (++) equivalent

Alexander Dunlap alexander.dunlap at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 01:22:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Jason Dusek<jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/07/03 George Pollard <porges at porg.es>:
>> This discussion points to a wider issue: at some stage we
>> should look at pulling all the nice "new" stuff into Haskell
>> prelude. I'm looking at you, Data.Foldable,Traversable.
>>
>> Also, throw out `map`. ;)
>
>  What is the proper name for the operation on functions of a
>  functor, anyway? The name `fmap` seems to driven by an analogy
>  with `map`.
>
> --
> Jason Dusek

I think map would be the right name. IMO, what would be really nice
would be to rename "fmap" to "map" (and then fmap would become a
deprecated synonym for map), etc., and get rid of many of the special
cases for lists in the Prelude. The only backward compatibility
problem that has been brought up is monomorphism restriction stuff,
though.

Alex