[Haskell-cafe] Re: I love purity, but it's killing me.

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 6 21:48:53 EDT 2009

On 2009-05-27T03:58:58-0400, Paul L wrote:
> One possible solution is to further introduce a fixed point data
> constructor, a Rec or even LetRec to explicitly capture cycles. But
> then you still incur much overheads interpreting them,

I don't understand this criticism -- what interpretive overhead do you
mean?  Certainly the Rec/LetRec encoding is pretty efficient for one
object language with cycles, namely the lambda calculus with Rec or
LetRec. :)

One concrete way for you to explain what interpretive overhead you mean,
if it's not too much trouble, might be to compare a Rec/LetRec encoding
of a particular object language to another encoding that does not have
the interpretive overhead you mean and is therefore more efficient.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
We want our revolution, and we want it now! -- Marat/Sade