[Haskell-cafe] using phantom types to validate html

Thomas ten Cate ttencate at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 06:51:41 EDT 2009

I have been thinking about this same problem a while ago, and found
that HaXml [1] can generate Haskell types from a DTD schema. However,
the code that you need to build HTML from that is quite verbose.

Being no expert in Haskell, I talked to Twan van Laarhoven, who came
up with something [2] that looks quite similar to your solution. It
allows you to write stuff like this:

test = html $ body [p ["x",em "y"], ul [li "1", li "2"]]

Your use of phantom types looks a lot like his. The main difference
with your solution is that Twan's generates strings right away,
instead of using an intermediate data structure. Whether or not this
is desirable depends on the application, I guess.

A slight disadvantage is that the monomorphism restriction doesn't
allow you to use the same value as children of two nodes of different
types. In practice, this will probably not occur often. The linked
file provides a workaround, but NoMonomorphismRestriction will of
course also work.

Generating such code for the full HTML spec, or any XML for that
matter, while also including more advanced validation rules like "only
1 head section" would be an interesting exercise. If you manage to
pull this off, I'm definitely interested.

Hope this helps,

Thomas

[1] http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/HaXml/
[2] http://moonpatio.com/fastcgi/hpaste.fcgi/view?id=2581#a2582