[Haskell-cafe] Slow documentation generation on Hackage

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 8 04:40:43 EDT 2009

On Jun 8, 2009, at 04:36 , Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2009, at 04:10 , Niemeijer, R.A. wrote:
>> Hence I wanted to ask if this is a bug or if there is a good
>> technical or social reason for it, and whether there is any way
>> around it.
>
> Auto-running haddock on upload strikes me as a good way to open
> hackage.haskell.org to a denial of service attack.

I should clarify:  yes, in a valid project haddock takes almost no
time.  Nevertheless:

(1) if many uploads of even valid packages are made in a very short
time, the system load could well be severely impacted;
(2) what of malicious packages, which might trigger bugs in haddock
leading to (say) 100% CPU loops?  That we don't know of any doesn't
mean there aren't any, unless the test suite is absolutely 100%
complete (and for a large program, that becomes as hard to verify as
the program itself.  now consider that haddock is part of ghc these
days...).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu