[Haskell-cafe] Comonadic composition and the game "Doublets"

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Mon Jun 8 18:17:34 EDT 2009

I think the structure you are looking for is called a "wedge sum" [1],
which is the coproduct in the category of the pointed spaces, each of
which is (in this case) the group action of changing one letter to
another in the ith position of a word of fixed length.

One small tricky part is that, in contrast to the direct product of n
1-D spaces with a list comprehension, which enumerates the product space
with duplicates:

[(x,y,z,...) | x <- xs, y <- ys, z <- zs, ... ]

with a wedge sum a naive algorithm overcounts the point (or origin, in
this case the identity function). This can be seen in your transition
function, where non-identity transformations are counted only once, but
the identity transformation is counted n times:

*Main> length . filter (== "abd") . transition $ "abc"
1
*Main> length . filter (== "abc") . transition $ "abc"
3

If you want your result to be a set, you may want to treat the identity
transformation separately.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedge_sum

Dan