[Haskell-cafe] Re: I love purity, but it's killing me.

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 9 19:56:08 EDT 2009

Paul L <ninegua at gmail.com> wrote in article <856033f20906082224s2b7d5391gdc7a4ed913004639 at mail.gmail.com> in gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe:
> The open question is whether there exists such a
> solution that's both elegant and efficient at maintain proper sharing
> in the object language.

What is your criterion for "efficient"?

> We certainly can get rid of all interpretive overheads by either
> having a "tagless" interpreter (as in Oleg and Shan's paper), or by
> direct compilation.

(BTW, the paper is by Jacques Carette, Oleg Kiselyov, and Chung-chieh
Shan.)

> But so far I don't see how a tagless interpreter
> could handle sharing when it can't be distinguished in the host
> language.

Indeed, I would agree with those on this thread who have stated that
sharing should be distinguished in the host language.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
We want our revolution, and we want it now! -- Marat/Sade