[Haskell-cafe] Debugging misbehaving multi-threaded programs

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Jun 11 03:40:42 EDT 2009

Evan Klitzke <evan at eklitzke.org> writes:

> [...] Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work; whenever the
> program terminates due to running out of heap space, the generated
> .prof file is empty.

Unless there's some specific problem with profiling in combination
with threading, you can get heap profiling from a crashing program.
Not what you wanted, but you might at least be able to see what is
allocated.

Previously, you'd have to edit the profiling output (.hp file) by hand
to chop off the last and partial profiling record, but I think this
might have been fixed in later GHC's.

-k