[Haskell-cafe] About the Monad Transformers

Miguel Mitrofanov miguelimo38 at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 17 12:54:58 EDT 2009

On 17 Jun 2009, at 19:54, .shawn wrote:

> Why does the type signature of mapTreeM look like this?

Why not? I can't think of any other possibility.

> And what does it mean by "The lift tell us that we're going to be
> executing a command in an enclosed monad. In this case the enclosed
> monad is IO"?

Wild guess: I think they mean exactly what they said. Literally.

> Why does the author put lift here?

Because he wanted to work in a more general setting than just IO
monad. He needed IO, of course, because of "putStrLn", but he wanted
to give the user of this function an opportunity to do something
besides just IO.

> How does the lift work?

"lift" is defined in the "MonadTrans" type class, so it works
differently depending on what transformer you use. You can even define
your own one and "lift" would work as you write it. The only thing we
know for sure is that whichever transformer you use, "lift" would have
the type "m x -> t m x", where "t" is a transformer in question. So,
it would be OK to apply it to, say, something of type "IO a", and
you'd have something of type "t IO a" as a result.