[Haskell-cafe] Obscure weirdness

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 20 11:29:31 EDT 2009

OK, so here's an interesting problem...

I've been coding away all day, but now my program is doing something
slightly weird. For a specific input, it summarily terminates. The
registered exception handler does not fire. There is no output to stdout
or stderr indicating what the problem is. It just *stops* half way
through the printout.

Weirder: If I run it in GHCi, then GHCi itself terminates. (I didn't
think you could *do* that!)

It's not as if my program is anything unusual. There are no unsafe
functions. No FFI. Nothing. Just regular high-level Haskell.

Is this a known bug in GHC 6.10.1? Will upgrading fix it? (Obviously,
it's quite a lot of work to change GHC.) Suffice it to say that my
program is quite big and complicated; it worked fine when it was still
small and simple. ;-)