[Haskell-cafe] Obscure weirdness

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 21 04:36:16 EDT 2009

Raynor Vliegendhart wrote:
> There is a bug in ghci 6.10.1 that seems to be fixed in 6.10.3 (not
> sure whether it's fixed in 6.10.3). Certain non-terminating
> expressions causes ghci to crash immediately and go back to the
> prompt:

> C:\>ghci
> GHCi, version 6.10.1: http://www.haskell.org/ghc/  :? for help
> Prelude> let loop = loop in loop
>
> C:\>
>
> Compiling a module with a non-terminating expression first with ghc
> and then loading it in ghci does not seem to result in a crash.

That certainly sounds very much like the behaviour I'm seeing, except...
it happens whether or not the code is compiled.

If I run GHCi with nothing compiled, it crashes. If I compile all the
modules and run GHCi, it crashes. If I make a stand-alone executable and
run it, it crashes.

Anyway, I shall try 6.10.3 and see what happens.

PS. Is there a ticket for this? I mean, it seems to be fixed, but we
should probably still record it somehow?