[Haskell-cafe] coding standard question

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jun 22 07:40:24 EDT 2009

Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> When I write code that shadows variable names, it is always deliberate.
> In fact, the language's lexical rules encourage shadowing, otherwise why
> have scopes at all?  I think bug-introduction by the elimination of
> shadowing is much more common than bug-elimination by the same route.

I would almost agree that blindly eliminating shadowing will lead  to
bugs, but they will be shallow bugs detected almost immediately.

The bugs I am particularly interested in avoiding are the difficult bugs
that seem to be intermittent, that only hit in certain rare situations
and that take ages to find.

I will gladly trade you a hundred of the first for one of the second :-).

Erik