[Haskell-cafe] XMonad and NetworkManager?

Felipe Lessa felipe.lessa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 08:27:44 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:28:47PM +0400, Alexey Khudyakov wrote:
> I use wicd to manage wireless connections for about three month and
> I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to be much saner than network manager.
> Didn't any serious problems with it.

I second that.  I've gone away from NM because I always had to
wait for several minutes before being able to connect anywhere
after an suspend/hibernate cycle, and also because there wasn't a
way of forcing it to discover the available wireless networks
again.

Having said all that, I'm happier than ever with wicd.  It starts
pretty early on the boot so when the login screen is presented
I'm already connected to my wireless network!  It's also very
fast to reconnect after an hibernate cycle, taking almost the
same time as I need to type my password.

I use Xmonad with gnome-panel so I can't really tell you how good
is the ncurses interface, but it exists.  Moreover, I only touch
the wicd interface if I need to connect to a new wireless
network, it almost always does the right thing and it doesn't
need a client to work.  IOW, you may start wicd-client only when
you need to configure something, and then close it rightaway.

My 2 cents,

--
Felipe.