[Haskell-cafe] Cabal fun [Half-integer]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 29 14:03:19 EDT 2009

Derek Elkins wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Antoine Latter<aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Andrew
>> Coppin<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ah. Apparently it's "fixed":
>>>
>>> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/40
>>>
>>> Except that it isn't fixed. Yay for me..
> If one actually reads the discussion in the ticket, it is clear that
> the conclusion was to have cabal-install handle it and that
> cabal-install uses it's own tar implementation.

This was not at all clear to me from reading the ticker.

OK, so I need to find another seperate tool in order to do this. I guess
not every single Haskell user tries to release stuff to Hackage, while
presumably most users want to install stuff from it. I could just about
live with that. However, the following important question remains: If
sdist is broken on Windows, and the developers know this, why does it
just die with an unhelpful message? Why does it not say "this
functionallity is not supported; you need to get this tool..."? Why did
I have to do a custom search of closed tickets on the Trac to even find
this information? Why is this not written in big, huge letters in the
user guide? The fact that this is broken by default on every Windows box
in the land seems like a rather big deal...

Seriously... when the next person behind me comes along and tries to do
this, they're going to trip over in exactly the same way. All the Cabal
guides I've seen so far recommend the use of sdist. (And, indeed, on any
other OS it presumably works. It's just another thing you have to do
differently if you happen to be on Windows.)

GHC already ships with Cabal, and half a dozen GNU utilities; would it
have been so hard to just add tar.exe?

Anyway, I now [hopefully] have a way to fix my immediate problem. I hope
the people in charge will do something to help the next guy behind me...