[Haskell-cafe] Monoid wants a (++) equivalent

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:54:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 09:45:45AM -0700, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> I've thought for a while that it would be very nice indeed if the Monoid
> class had a more concise operator for infix appending than "a `mappend` b".
> I wonder if other people are of a similar opinion, and if so, whether this
> is worth submitting a libraries@ proposal over.

+1.

IIRC Jules Bean has proposed using (+>) for this purpose, which I
like.  It has the advantages of (a) not clashing with any other
(common) operators, (b) making more obvious the fact that mappend is
not necessarily commutative, and (c) providing the obvious (<+) for
'flip mappend' which is sometimes useful.

-Brent