[Haskell-cafe] Problem with haddock - it dislikes my comments

David Waern david.waern at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 08:05:55 EST 2009

2009/2/28 Colin Paul Adams <colin at colina.demon.co.uk>:

>    Gwern> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Colin Paul Adams
>    Gwern> <colin at colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>    >>> Having just read the Haddock manual , I am haddocking (may I
>    >>> copyleft that verb?) my code.
>    >>>
>    >>> But half-way through this data type, I discover that haddock
>    >>> rejects my non-haddock comments, although GHC is fine:
>
>    >>> How can I document the components of each constructor?
>
>    Gwern> http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/60 ?
>
>    Colin> That seems to be a different bug - my haddock comments are
>    Colin> accepted fine - it's the plain Haskell ones (no ^) that it
>    Colin> complains about as a parse error.
>
> No, I'm wrong - it does seem to be the same problem.

In fact, it's not. I've added two new tickets for your problem:

  http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/95
  http://trac.haskell.org/haddock/ticket/94

> Since the ticket has been downgraded to a minor problem, it seems the
> Haddock team doesn't want to allow documentation of components, except
> when they are named fields.

Again, not the same problem. The ticket is about documenting empty
data declarations on the same line, e.g:

  data Empty -- ^ A comment

Since you can just put the comment above or below the declaration, I
consider it a minor problem. We have more serious bugs to focus on :)

The new tickets for your problem have been assigned major priority, though.

Thanks,
David