[Haskell-cafe] Re: Left fold enumerator - a real pearl overlooked?

Bayley, Alistair Alistair.Bayley at invesco.com
Mon Mar 2 06:50:41 EST 2009

This only works if the entire file can reasonably fit into memory. If you want to process something really big, then you need some sort of streaming approach, where you only look at a small part of the file (a line, or a block) at a time. And this is where the enumerator-iteratee approach looks better, because the IO is strict, but you still take a stream-like approach to processing the contents.

BTW, does this discussion remind anyone (else) of Peter Simon's Block-IO proposal?
  http://cryp.to/blockio/fast-io.html

Alistair
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this message,
and any attachments, may contain confidential and/or privileged
material. It is intended solely for the person(s) or entity to
which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination,
or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient(s) is